APRIL is a busy organization hosting around 25 events a year and 100% volunteer-staffed. If you want to help us connect readers with independent literature, you can sign up for an internship/volunteership. There’s plenty to be done, so you can tailor your tasks to gain experience where you want it the most. School credit is not required, but we’re happy to work with your school to complete the steps to secure your internship credit if desired.
What You Will Learn / Do:
- Work with staff to select tasks that support educational goals related to grant writing, budgeting, fundraising, data collection, licensing, organizing volunteers, marketing and/or social media as your experience and learning outcomes dictate.
-Gain real life experience and practice applying classroom theory in an established, growing arts nonprofit and gain practical knowledge of event planning and costs, especially within Seattle and the literary community.
- Connect with APRIL’s fiscal sponsor, Shunpike, and liaise with Program Managers on account-related matters, such as submitting check requests, completing permit paperwork and more.
-Prepare a final report of recommendations/complete a final project based on preferred area of expertise.
-Provide minimal support to APRIL staff as appropriate and needed.
-Class credit may be available.
What We Require:
- Must have an interest in small press and independent literature, as well as an interest in development, marketing and communications, and creative nonprofit business management.
- APRIL is staffed entirely by part-time volunteers, so Interns must be organized and self-directed, with an ability to work independently and prioritize time-sensitive assignments.
- Creative and outgoing :)
- Familiar with social media
-Experience with grant writing, finance, and/or marketing are all a plus.
-Workload and hours are flexible but deadlines are firm; a minimum of 5 hours a week of work are required.
If interested, email a brief description of your prior experience, what you’d like to pursue during your time with APRIL (including the duration of internship/volunteership you’re looking for) and a bit about your favorite small/independent publishers or books to firstname.lastname@example.org.